"It's never too late to have a happy childhood." —Tom Robbins
Jesus said: "I tell you the truth: anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." Luke 18:17.
Here's a list I came up with to increase simplicity.
Do these describe us?
- Trusting. Albert Einstein said: "The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives."
- Loved. You are not loved because of what you do, but because of who you are.
- Son or Servant? God cares more that we love him than we produce for him.
- Full of Wonder. Life is to be discovered more than determined. Those who have lost their sense of awe, have lost a sense of God. (It's awful not to be awe-ful.)
- Humility. God places important gifts on the bottom shelves so that all the kids can reach them, especially with supernatural experiences.
- Unpretentious. Run with reckless abandon, sacrificing perfect form for passion, not worrying about how you look. Be a "fool for Christ." (I Cor 4:10)
- Fun. Shun perfectionism. Lighten up. Take yourself less seriously; take God/others more seriously. Release guilt for "the joy of the Lord is your strength." (Neh 8:10.) God is serious about fun!
- Zealous. Be fearlessly curious. Fight for the goods. Enter the challenge. Energetic for the prize.
- Innocent. Don't overcomplicate with compartmentalized thinking. To be "pure of heart" means simply to will one thing: love.
- Free. "Love God and do what you want" (Augustine) means if you are loving God then you are truly free (which is the only genuine freedom.) Rest that even if you error, God will make bad into good if we let Him.
- A Quality Napper. Relax in God. This is so important, especially for a modern American. Enjoy God's presence in the present.
- Submissive. Yield to correction. A child that can't be disciplined can't be taught.
- Weaned. A weaned child can wait for food to be provided. Resist instant gratification. Be able to sacrifice in the short term goods for long term goods.
- Dependent. Total reliance. Life is more about God's love than ours.
- Secure. Only a child of the King is protected from the King's enemies.
- Friendship. God calls you friend.
- Asking. Let God set the limits for blessings! Ask him for more now.