The Larger Story
Is your life headed somewhere? Does it have meaning or is it simply a lot of activity, signifying nothing?
Christ teaches there is a meta-narrative. Our lives are sub-plots within
a larger plot that is carrying all of life forward to its completionthe
continuing story of creation.
Heres an encapsulated version of the story from Dr. Kerry Koller:
Reality as we know it is the result of a Creator God bringing into being a world that is other than Himself, and yet which is full of His glory.
It was always the intention of this God that creation should one day be flooded with His own life, in the way which was prepared from the very beginning. As part of the means to this end the Creator brought into being a creature which by bearing the Creators image would bring His wise and loving care to bear on creation.
By a tragic irony the creature in question has rebelled against this intention.
But the Creator has solved this problem in principle... and as a result is now moving the creation once more towards its originally intended goal.
The implementation of this solution now involves the indwelling of this God within His human creatures and ultimately within the whole of creation, transforming it into that for which it was made in the beginning.
That is the story of Christianity.
What is our role in the story? What should we do?
- Christ the Hero. Our roles are fulfilled as we align with the lead character, just characters do in any movie.
- What's the Story? Drama, comedy, musical? All of them—but primarily an adventure-romance. So our role will be it's best when we swear allegiance to the King.
- Who Are We? All of us comprise the mega-prize, the bride of Christ.
- One Cast. It's therefore not primarily about ones personal interiority or personal piety. It is a matter of being a people, a family, the new humanity.
- Now Showing. We are to be living a radical, visibly brightened life. The first-century Christians proclaimed that God had acted definitively on His promised plan —and it showed. "Where?" It's in each person the Spirit's love is projecting through, like light through film frames.
- It's Epic. Following Christ is like joining a revolution—it's not a spiritual hobby.
You are on pilgrimage to eternity and this life is leading you there. Who are you to say what your life should be? (Job 42:1-5)
Live your part in the great story: the marriage of Heaven and earth, unfolding all around in human history. Its a huge and complicated narrative that I am moving forward. As you are led by My master direction, watch and enjoy what I am doing.